- Animated and voiced VR instructional simulations
- Immersive training for complex skills
- Trainee scoring and awards system
Technologies Used: 3D party Oculus SDK, Oculus store, Oculus Quest, Unity, VRTK plugin
Teaming up with HQSoftware, the client developed a software solution for effective VR training with an abundance of simulations.
The software provides training simulations in a variety of fields such as engineering, mechanics, and cooking. The main goal of the software is occupational training, meaning that it helps users learn new skills to acquire new jobs.
The client was building training software that allows users to gain professional skills and knowledge by undergoing immersive VR simulations.
The major challenge for the client was delivering a huge number of well-constructed simulations in a variety of fields on a regular basis.
To teach complex skills and movements, the simulation mechanics must be well-balanced: they must convey the natural feeling of performing a particular action without being too hard for a trainee.
To address the customer’s problem, HQSoftware provided a team of 6 professionals. The team included Unity developers, a 3D modeler, and a PM.
The client’s team was responsible for researching the field of training before building a simulation. Instructional designers went ahead and created a thorough specification that included a detailed training script and requirements such as sound effects and descriptions for animations.
The HQSoftware development team’s task was to create immersive training simulations that would be easy for users to follow. The main challenge was to provide skill-building mechanics that reproduce the feeling of real-life training without being ungraspable.
Actions such as screwing, measuring, or jacking a vehicle up should feel as true to life as possible, to make sure the user learns the skill perfectly.
The VR training simulation offers its users two learning modes:
- Animation tutorial. The tutorial walks the trainee through a whole sequence of actions. The trainee watches the animated instructions and sees ghost hands performing an action with voice instruction. Then the trainee tries to repeat it.
- Hands-on practice. The trainee repeats the sequence of actions on their own with minimal guidance. If they have trouble performing an action, they will be provided a hint. All of their actions are scored, and at the end of the simulation, the trainee gets a score and a medal.
The selection of VR training simulations covers several fields, including electrical fundamentals, truck maintenance, and cooking. Regardless of the subject matter, they let users perform complex actions in a natural way and acquire skills essential for a particular occupation.
The VR training software also features an admin panel that is used for uploading and managing simulations. In addition, the panel is used to add students and score their performance.
During hands-on practice, the trainee must complete the training session with minimal guidance. But if the user takes too much time to do something, the software will provide a little hint to make sure the trainee understands what to do.
Backend and frontend
To make sure the software offers the best possible performance, HQSoftware developers built:
- A Unity-based VR environment on the front end to handle the simulations. 3D models, virtual environments, and voice commands were created by the customer’s team, while HQSoftware developers compiled the assets and created animations for models.
- The backend was also covered by the customer, with scripts to handle transitions between simulation steps.
Since the product was built in close cooperation with the customer, the HQSoftware team opted for Agile methodology to quickly react to the customer’s insights and requirements. Daily builds were provided to the customer’s instructional designer, who tested the simulations according to the specification. In addition, the customer’s QA engineers ensured that every detail was in place. This kept the customer in complete control of the product.
Have a similar project in mind? Check out our Virtual Reality development services.
Kick Off With Your Project Today
Let’s talk about your business needs and figure out the best solution. Just fill in this form and get a free individual proposal from your personal manager.